In most parts of Asia, betel nuts are chewed every day, but have you ever wondered what betel nuts are? Where they come from? Let’s look into some facts that you must know about betel nut before you chew it.
There are multiple betel nut suppliers all over Asia. You have seen deep red and purple mouths in Asia that show the sign of betel nut. They are seeds of the Areca catechu, which is a type of palm tree. People usually intake it in leaves of the Piper betel vine that have been coated with lime, which is known as a betel quid. Also, they add some tobacco or flavorful spices, which are also contagious to health. Let’s look into the side effects and addiction.
Is betel nut good for health?
Before discussing how does it affect your health you should be know-how does betel nut work? When people chew these nuts, they affect the brain’s chemicals and relax the central nervous system.
Regular chewing of the betel causes numerous side effects such as oral submucous fibrosis, cancer of the mouth and esophagus, and tooth decay. The WHO also declared it harmful for health and suggested reducing the betel nut suppliers across the world.
Is betel nut addictive?
The battle nut affects millions of people for hundreds of years. Chewing these betel nuts for sale from the local market has raised the risk of addiction, leading to cancer. Prolonged usage of it has a million side effects. Let’s look at the side effects of betel nut.
What are the effects of betel nut?
Some people suggest that they are also beneficial because chewing betel nuts can reduce the effects of Schizophrenia in people and cause less severe symptoms. People believe that betel nuts, like betel nut chewing, may improve speech, bladder function, and strength in people who have strokes. But we cannot neglect the list of side effects caused by betel nut.
Here are some of the side effects.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: women who are breast-feeding and pregnant should not intake these nuts as these betel nuts have toxic chemicals that can be harmful to the baby. Betel nut can affect the central nervous system, and its chemical is mix with the breast milk and harm the infant.
- Asthma: Betel nut can cause the condition of asthma patients worst.
- Slow heart rate (bradycardia): it slows down the heartbeat, which is a problem for people who already have a slow heart rate.
- Gastrointestinal tract blockage: It causes congestion in the intestines.
- Ulcers: It could worsen the ulcers by increasing secretions in the stomach and intestines.
- Lung conditions: It increases fluid secretions in the lung.
- Seizures: It increases the risk of seizures.
- Urinary tract obstruction: Betel nut might increase secretions in the urinary tract.
- They cause glaucoma.
- They are aiding indigestion.
- Other conditions.